Albert (www.albert.io) is an instructional platform that empowers teachers to unlock the potential in all learners. We are a mission-driven and diverse team of passionate, thoughtful, and creative individuals creating the learning platform of the future. Thousands of schools have adopted Albert as their mission-critical instructional platform and we are growing quickly.
Albert is so much more than just a job. You will do great work here supported by incredibly talented, passionate, and kind colleagues and actually look forward to waking up everyday to help us bring better learning experiences to students worldwide. We carefully maintain our culture of openness, respectful debate, calculated risk-taking, and first-principles thinking. You'll also form lifelong friendships, collaborate with incredible managers, have a ton of fun, and pick up skills and experience that will last you a lifetime.
Building the future of interactive learning has its perks!People-first culture...
● Health, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a range of options, including the best BCBS PPO Platinum plan available. The company contributes 85% of our great base health plan (employees pay the difference for more expensive plans) and 75% for vision and dental.
● One Medical. We cover the cost of enrollment in One Medical to provide employees on any of our health plans with convenient access to primary care.
● Paid parental leave. Primary caregivers are eligible for up to twelve (12) weeks of fully paid parental leave. Secondary caregivers are eligible for eight (8) weeks of fully paid leave and an additional four (4) weeks unpaid.
● A 401k plan. Save for retirement with a fully managed plan. Work-life balance...
● Flexible vacation policy. Take guilt-free vacations with no hard limit. Just be reasonable and considerate of the company and your teammates. We encourage taking off at least 10 days per year.
● Extended remote work. Employees who have worked at Albert for two years can work remote for up to 6 weeks (done continuously) every other year to do some bucket list traveling.Productivity at work...
● Work-from-home. All employees can work-from-home one day per week.
● The best equipment. Everyone gets whatever equipment setup they'd like.
● Standing desks. Anyone who wants one can have a standing desk.Just for fun...
● Snacks galore. Free coffee, La Croix, and a generous snack budget.
● Commuter benefit. Use pre-tax earnings on your commute through our managed platform.
● Monthly social events. Company-sponsored happy hours, dinners, and other social events.
● Annual company outings. Every year we do a big off-site as a team.
Overview of our stack:
● The application is fully isomorphic, rendering application state/snapshots server-side where possible.
● Our API services are built with Elixir, Phoenix, and PostgreSQL following the JSON API specification.
● We run on Google Cloud using Kubernetes and Docker.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will work with our cutting-edge Elixir/Phoenix-powered API to support feature development and push the boundaries of scalability, stability, and speed.
● be a major contributor to the team by writing modern, testable and maintainable code to support Albert's roadmap;
● take ownership of features and engineering initiatives from end-to-end by going through design, implementation, test, and maintenance cycles;
● participate in and lead architectural and design review discussions;
● collaborate with other engineers and the Product team to define project goals and establish milestones;
● identify opportunities to improve existing code or architecture; and
● embody our core values and uphold our unique company culture.
We look for people who are passionate learners, work well in teams, and take pride in their work.
The following are helpful:
● Professional experience writing services in functional languages using modern frameworks and infrastructure. Experience with the following is a plus: Elixir, Phoenix, PostgreSQL, and Docker.
● Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or relevant professional experience working in a product-driven environment.
● Able to write well-documented, maintainable, and tested code.
● The ability to take a pragmatic approach to problem and prioritization, always considering how to maximize value to users and the rest of your team.
● You're comfortable working in an agile environment and used to working collaboratively, participating in code reviews, and being a great teammate.
● You can be a leader in driving your team and the broader engineering team toward identifying and executing on the best solutions.